Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sonic 2 LD (fomerly "Project: H") coming out!

Reply to topic
Sonic 2 LD (fomerly "Project: H") coming out!
Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:59 am
Hopefully it isn't here already, but for all who don't know about it yet, a member "doc eggfan" over at sonicretro is making a "true Master System port of the 16-bit Mega Drive/Genesis title Sonic the Hedgehog 2 using the engine of the 8-bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2"!
Check out this thread, the hack is comming VERY soon:
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=11789
Sonic 2 LD Episode 01 - EHZ.zip (190.64 KB)
Beta 1

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:52 am
That's marvellous news! Are there any screenshots of the project?
Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:54 pm
No screenshots, I think there's a youtube video somewhere in the topic, check the last message from doc eggfan
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:51 am
Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:12 am
Thanks for the video! Woah! Seems pretty colourful, it's incredible that is a 8 bit hack! Hope we can taste it soon! =)

(By the way, I hope Tails show up in this adaptation!)
Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:13 pm
Awesome!
Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:18 pm
Is it an inaccurate emulator only "hack" ? You'd think he'd be pushing it with "64 colors" and 256x224 resolution?*

*goes off to make unrealistic emulation mode in RetroCopy so this thing works. ;)
Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:23 am
RetroRalph wrote
Is it an inaccurate emulator only "hack" ? You'd think he'd be pushing it with "64 colors" and 256x224 resolution?*

*goes off to make unrealistic emulation mode in RetroCopy so this thing works. ;)

You can do that on the SMS2 though, it has the 256x224 and 256x240 modes, and with some background gradient raster effects I'm sure the color count gets pushed up. Though probably not near 64 on screen.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:28 am
The video's just repeating the "maximum" specs from Wikipedia. (That 10 octaves thing was my edit :) ) I think it wasn't made by the guy actually doing the hack.
Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:36 pm
Charles MacDonald wrote
You can do that on the SMS2 though, it has the 256x224 and 256x240 modes, and with some background gradient raster effects I'm sure the color count gets pushed up. Though probably not near 64 on screen.

Yeah I'm aware of the technical limitations. I just question if you can have a 4way scrolling game like Sonic 2 at that resolution able to fit within the video memory bandwidth. The Sonic 2 engine is already tight at 256x192 without the extra stuff (NTSC Sonic 2 has bugs due to too much needing updating iirc). Of course modern day optimization and knowledge might give it enough. And the other point may be as Maxim pointed out, the guy that made the video just used some max spec sheet and wrote it on the video.

I read some of the thread last night though and the author doesn't appear to have done any testing on a real system or something like RetroCopy, so I'm assuming it's not a priority to have it work on a real system currently. IMO if you're going to do a SMS game or hack it should work on the real thing to be classified a SMS game. Otherwise it's really just made for something that doesn't exist, and if it doesn't exist, why not be a bit more fanciful with the conversion (ie move it to C++/Java and use original graphics/music). Hopefully the author does make it compatible with the real machines at some point if it isn't currently because it is a COOL project with a lot of effort put into it.

I would like to see a game that does some fancy tricks to increase the color count, one thing I could think of is having different colors in a status area, blank for a line after it and update the palette to your usual colors. It's a bit hard to have the gameplay area affected by it unless you have well defined background areas.

*edit* A demo rom has been released, I tried it in RetroCopy and it works fine so it likely works on the real system too. NTSC has same issues as real Sonic 2 but PAL is fine. It's also 256x192. All in all though probably one of the best SMS hacks out there. :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:46 pm
Going up to 224 pixels height would really just mean four more tiles to update on horizontal scrolling. Given that these games are typically also updating sprite tiles, that's not a lot of VBlank time (relatively). You could even get away with doing the later rows during the display period, although not particularly easy.
Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:46 pm
Maxim wrote
Going up to 224 pixels height would really just mean four more tiles to update on horizontal scrolling. Given that these games are typically also updating sprite tiles, that's not a lot of VBlank time (relatively). You could even get away with doing the later rows during the display period, although not particularly easy.

Yeah but you also have less VRAM space, so if you're using methods whereby you're caching certain sprites it increases upload pressure..... If only the SMS allowed Z80 writing directly to VRAM you could get away with plenty of tricks. The Sega-E is pretty much how the SMS should have been, minus the extra VDP and faster Z80.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:23 am
I've just played through the beta, and I gotta say that, while unfinished (duh!) it does show some promise.
BTW: I laughed out loud at the easter egg... XD
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:04 am
I attached the beta to the first post.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!