SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Controller port 1 doesn't work

Reply to topic
Controller port 1 doesn't work
Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:06 pm
Hey guys!
The controller port 1 on my SMS is faulty.
I know it's the port and not the pad because I tried swapping pad 1 and pad 2 and the problem is still there.
It does not respond to 1 or "up".

I've realized that, when I pressed one of the bits around the controller ports (EMI filters, according to the service manual), pad 1 would respond as it should. That is, until that piece broke...

After a long search, I've found a place that sells them. There's a difference in the amount of picofarads between the original and the ones for sale.
Could this one serve as a replacement?

"CAPACITOR, 3 TERMINAL, 22000PF, Filter Type:-, Current Rating:7A, Voltage Rating:50V, Leakage Cu"

If not, could I just bridge the points in the board?
Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:56 pm
Pegasus wrote
Hey guys!
The controller port 1 on my SMS is faulty.
I know it's the port and not the pad because I tried swapping pad 1 and pad 2 and the problem is still there.
It does not respond to 1 or "up".

I've realized that, when I pressed one of the bits around the controller ports (EMI filters, according to the service manual), pad 1 would respond as it should. That is, until that piece broke...

After a long search, I've found a place that sells them. There's a difference in the amount of picofarads between the original and the ones for sale.
Could this one serve as a replacement?

"CAPACITOR, 3 TERMINAL, 22000PF, Filter Type:-, Current Rating:7A, Voltage Rating:50V, Leakage Cu"

If not, could I just bridge the points in the board?

If pushing on it a bit made it magically work again there was probably a questionable solder joint. I'm not sure how badly the filters are needed... if it was just an FCC thing or what. But you might be able to just make a jumper for the bad filter and try to see if that works for you.

I had an SMS with non-responsive controller port and I had to resolder the EMI filter joints and then it's worked fine ever since.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!