Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Where is the Asterix and the Secret Mission SMS ROM?

Reply to topic
Where is the Asterix and the Secret Mission SMS ROM?
Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:17 pm
Getting back into playing some SMS for the first time in about 10 years, thought I'd update my SMS ROM collection. I still have my old folder which comprises of ROMs downloaded from an SMS Power FTP mirror years ago, so I figured I'd update it, since I haven't downloaded any SMS Power ROM releases since around 2005.

Anyway, I figured it'd be quicker just to download everything again and then delete the old folder, so I downloaded everything from the FR mirror (http://smspower.emu-france.info/)

After that finished I was about to delete all the old ROMs and I noticed Asterix And The Secret Mission SMS seems to be missing from the new set? Can anyone tell me where it's gone? I've got the SMS ROM in my old folder, which I'm 99% sure I got from SMS Power years ago. All I can find on the site now is the GG version...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:32 pm
Based on my record it looks like this particular ROM wasn't released by SMS Power. Even though the vast majority of ROM appeared it here, some weren't. We also never actually had an exhaustive ROM download catalogue available here (we might / should probably in the future).
Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:45 pm
Bock wrote
Based on my record it looks like this particular ROM wasn't released by SMS Power. Even though the vast majority of ROM appeared it here, some weren't. We also never actually had an exhaustive ROM download catalogue available here (we might / should probably in the future).

Oh OK thanks Bock. Guess I must have downloaded it from somewhere else then. Weird.

I was actually under the impression SMS Power had pretty much every regular EU/US SMS game dumped and available. I thought it was just the protos/betas/demos/unusual formats/foreign games that you were still working on.

Is there a list somewhere here of games known to exist but which haven't been dumped/released at SMS power yet?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:33 pm
TheAssassin wrote
I was actually under the impression SMS Power had pretty much every regular EU/US SMS game dumped and available. I thought it was just the protos/betas/demos/unusual formats/foreign games that you were still working on.

It's more or less the case, but the dumps we haven't initially released never made it to the download lists here.

However note that the vast majority of them were redumped and confirmed since then by myself (e.g I have redumped SMS version Asterix and The Secret Mission from several cartridges myself). It's just that they were never added for download explicitly.

It's part of my plan to add an exhaustive list of download at some point but isn't a priority (we've got so much to do with the website). I understand this can come in as confusing at the moment since people expect to find all the roms here.

All of the licensed retail games you are likely to think of were already dumped and released.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:38 pm
Bock wrote
TheAssassin wrote

It's more or less the case, but the dumps we haven't initially released never made it to the download lists here.

However note that the vast majority of them were redumped and confirmed since then by myself (e.g I have redumped SMS version Asterix and The Secret Mission from several cartridges myself). It's just that they were never added for download explicitly.

It's part of my plan to add an exhaustive list of download at some point but isn't a priority (we've got so much to do with the website). I understand this can come in as confusing at the moment since people expect to find all the roms here.

All of the licensed retail games you are likely to think of were already dumped and released.

Oh I see. Well as long as they arrive eventually, I'm sure you guys know what you're doing. SMS Power is such a well organized site, way more than any other emulation/rom site I've ever seen, so I guess I just get in the habit of relying on it alone for everything SMS I need lol.

I will look forward to the official SMSpower release of Asterix And The Secret Mission SMS at some point in the future :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:06 pm
Well the file will be identical ..
Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:00 am
Bock wrote
Well the file will be identical ..

Oh since you said you had redumped the game several times and confirmed it, I assumed your version, whenever it arrives, would be more definitive/correct somehow than anything else out there.

Admittedly I don't really understand the technicalities though.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:47 am
I confirmed the dumps it means the dumps already available are correct else we would have replaced them already.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:47 pm
Bock wrote
I confirmed the dumps it means the dumps already available are correct else we would have replaced them already.

Oh I see, thanks for the insight
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!