SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear Special RGB Mod Request

Reply to topic
  • Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Game Gear Special RGB Mod Request
Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:48 am
Posted this in the Japanese board but will post here too for English speakers.

Request:

Looking for someone, preferably in Japan or possibly the US to do a special GG RGB mod on a 2 ASIC GG but not only for RGB, would like to use both battery areas to house: 1) DIN8 connector (just like the Mega Drive 1) with RGB hooked up in the same manner to it 2) in the other compartment, a 9 pin controller port (again just like the Mega Drive series) so I can plug in an MD controller so the pinouts need to be the same with start mapped as well. Would ike it to made so that the battery compartments could possibly be covered with the original covers for easy transport. Also, if you can build a stereo compatible 21 pin RGB cable Japanese standard, would appreciate it but not necessary.

Depending upon the quality and completeness of the request, will pay up to $100USD everything included.

Please PM me if you are interested.
  • Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:16 pm
Still looking for someone to do this. Please get in touch if you are able to do the mod.
Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:28 am
I'd like to help, but am simply far too busy. To help you with 1), this makes it much easier.

2) will be much more difficult, as the Mega Drive controllers have multiplexed buttons, so your hired hacker will have to add some multiplexing logic into the Game Gear as well.

What I did (and Sankichi too) for my GG was just hack a rapid-fire controller (I used a Famicom one, but Genesis could be used as well) to map the GG's start button through one of the pins of the 9-pin connector. This makes the controller unusable on other systems -- well, it is usable on the Master System, but pressing the new "start" button could short-circuit the hardware -- but it's much easier than installing new chips inside the Game Gear. The buttons on a custom controller will have to be rerouted to bypass the multiplexing/serializing chips inside the FC/Gen controllers, but they can still have their rapid-fire capabilities put to use (I put slow-mo on the FC's select button.)

These are some ideas that make things easier, and it might be more rewarding to do it yourself, no?
Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:33 pm
Hi

Old topic but I'm looking for a modded Game Gear too. Must have RGB output and if possible gamepad input.

Anyone ?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!