SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game makes GG run in PAL?!

Reply to topic
Game makes GG run in PAL?!
Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:11 am
Yeah. WTF?

So I just picked up Castle of Illusion for GG today and noticed when I put it in my with-BIOS GG that the BIOS screen was letterboxed in black and really flickery. I put it in my new older sans-BIOS GG and there was no flicker, but everything is still scrunched and letterboxed in the background color (usually black, except on the SEGA logo screen).

Castle is the only game I've seen do this. Is this... possible? I think this is the only time I've ever seen a cartridge dictate system region, and the only time other than a homebrew PAL switch on my Nomad that I've seen a portable try for more than one screen standard...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:33 am
That's just an SMS mode GG game.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:02 pm
I have a Game Gear that flickers like mad in SMS mode, too. I never worked out why.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:34 pm
I've experienced a similar problem with a flat screen GG. Whenever I try and play Castle of Illusion or Chase HQ, the screen flickers (both of these games work fine on my other two GGs which have the usual dome shaped screen). Apart from this, my flat screen GG will play games perfectly well.

I am also unable to play the above mentioned games in Kega Fusion. The sound seems to be okay but the screen appears in bizarre blue/pink colours. This leads me to suspect that there is something in the way these particular cartridges were made that makes them incompatible with non-standard anomalies.

Anyone know more about this?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:53 pm
Again, they are SMS mode GG games. When playing them, the GG needs to scale the screen down, cut off the left and right edges and letterbox the top and bottom of the screen.

It seems that maybe some GGs have problems playing them; I'd guess it could be the same old capacitor problem that all GGs eventually come down with, this time affecting the screen scaling.

In an emulator, you have to treat these ROMs as SMS games (as in, change the extension from .gg to .sms). The cartridge had a pin connected to tell the system to use SMS mode; the ROM has to have the extension set.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!