SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Master System Convertor through RGB question

Reply to topic
Master System Convertor through RGB question
Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:18 pm
Hi,
I just got hold of a Master System Convertor 2, and I am running it through my Genesis 2 which is hooked up to my TV with an RGB scart cable.

The picture is noticably better than when I play games through my Master System 1 which I recently modded for 60hz, although to be fair I am still using a composite cable with this system.

My question is simple - if I buy an RGB scart cable for my Master System 1, will the picture be *identical* as when I am using the convertor on the Genesis 2 with RGB, or will the Genesis 2 picture still be superior as it has better video hardware in the system?

Also - anyone know if the Genesis 2 has superior video hardware than the Genesis 1?

Cheers,
Paul
Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:05 pm
Genesis 2 has vastly inferior audio hardware and half of the model 2 variants have inferior video hardware in comparison to the Genesis 1.

RGB however is the same with all consoles. So I'd recommend a Genesis 1 (with High Definition Graphics logo) and a RGB-SCART cable which you could use with your Master System as well.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:08 pm
giving your SMS a RGB cable (either a MD1 or SMS1 RGB cable) will make things look identical.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:45 pm
Christuserloeser wrote
Genesis 2 has vastly inferior audio hardware and half of the model 2 variants have inferior video hardware in comparison to the Genesis 1.

What's wrong with the video output of the Genesis 2? Doesn't it use the same encoder chip (CXA-something) and components that the Genesis 1 uses?

Likewise are there any serious audio issues other than than those stemming from the YM2612 re-implementation in the Genesis 2 ASIC?
Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:33 pm
Charles MacDonald wrote
What's wrong with the video output of the Genesis 2? Doesn't it use the same encoder chip (CXA-something) and components that the Genesis 1 uses?

Most model 2 variants use an inferior Samsung KA-something encoder, and only one (VA4) uses a CXA encoder:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7796

Charles MacDonald wrote
Likewise are there any serious audio issues other than than those stemming from the YM2612 re-implementation in the Genesis 2 ASIC?

All variants except the VA4 have horrible sound. Think of 11khz with a lot of distortion thrown in and some instruments missing entirely.

A model 1 Genesis with High Definiton Graphics logo on the other hand sounds far better than any emulator:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/SegaMegaDrive_AudioComparision.ogg
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!