Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Advice for printing sms box scans ,paper,res etc

Reply to topic
Advice for printing sms box scans ,paper,res etc
Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:56 pm
Finally got myself a printer ,a canon pixma mp280 and now i want to start printing off some replacement sms box inserts/box art thingies.So how would i get set for printing the scans off of this site , type/size of paper ,etc?

Also,what would i need to set the scanner to,if i want to scan the sms box artwork ?

It has a print resolution of ; 4800x1200
Scan resolution of ; 1200x2400
Max size paper ;A4
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:36 am
The higher resolution your scan, the better the result will be. Most of our scans are at 150dpi or less which won't look great, you really need 600dpi or more. An inkjet print will never match the quality of the original, especially not the metallic ink. Also, selling games with printed inserts is evil, I'm sure you wouldn't do that though :)
Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:06 pm
No,i'm not that way inclined,just a few second hand games need their torn sleeves replaced.

What about the type of paper to use,as i've bought some dirt cheap asda crap and it's far to rough and stiff to come anywhere the original quality.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:36 am
The original inserts are press printed on a semi-gloss bond.

The best bet would be to find some specialty printing paper with simular qualities and designed for ink based printers (white, semi-gloss about 80-90gsm).

You will also need to play with the paper type settings a bit to find one that works with your paper (I'm an ex Canon tech btw).
Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:27 am
Maxim wrote
Also, selling games with printed inserts is evil, I'm sure you wouldn't do that though :)

I suppose it would be okay if the auction specifically stated that the insert was a copy. It's when sellers try to pass copies off as originals that people get upset.

It's much the same deal with sellers who distribute roms and emulators via CD/DVD for people who lack the IT skills or confidence to download for themselves. They charge only for the disc and the packaging, not for the software.

My position is this: the sale of bootlegs is fine as long as it's done in an honest and ethical way.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:21 pm
djbass wrote
The original inserts are press printed on a semi-gloss bond.

The best bet would be to find some specialty printing paper with simular qualities and designed for ink based printers (white, semi-gloss about 80-90gsm).

You will also need to play with the paper type settings a bit to find one that works with your paper (I'm an ex Canon tech btw).

Thanks a lot !
Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:51 pm
I should probably point out that finding a semi-gloss paper under 200gsm is probably going to be hard as most are photographic paper. You can probably get decent results with one of the high brightness papers (Canon HR-101, HP bright white inkjet paper)

The other thing is that there is a decent chance that the ink may adhere to the plastic overlay on the box over time.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:42 pm
djbass wrote
I should probably point out that finding a semi-gloss paper under 200gsm is probably going to be hard as most are photographic paper. You can probably get decent results with one of the high brightness papers (Canon HR-101, HP bright white inkjet paper)

The other thing is that there is a decent chance that the ink may adhere to the plastic overlay on the box over time.

So it's all good gear like ,eh
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!