SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Security Screws: Best ways to undo them

Reply to topic
Security Screws: Best ways to undo them
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:59 am
Hello,

I was wondering what is the best way to undo those security screws like the ones found on the GG cartridges?

Is their a way you can do it without needing a game bit?

I have also herd that there was a trick to use and it envolved a BIC pen or something

Thanks,

Jacko
  • Site Admin
Search and you will find
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:48 am
I used the forum search function with the word "bic" and found the original reference. See also here for alternatives. I don't know if the GG has a smaller size security screw, though.
OMG
Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:00 pm
* bump *

I did something awfully wrong when trying that!

I left the melted pen in contact with the GG for too long and when I tried to pull it off, it was stuck and just broke on the middle leaving a nasty bunch of plastic in the hole (which, of course, now is completely dried)...

I will try later to use my soldering iron to melt the plastic.... wish me luck!
Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:02 am
It's not worth using the Bic method IMHO. It may work relatively well for smaller 3.8mm Gamebit screws (used in GG carts). For the bigger 4.5mm screws, it won't work especially if you are trying to remove a tight one. Sometimes luck slips and it might also create a scar or leave behind a messy gummy substance in the surrounding area. Your best bet is to get to right tool for the right job :) I waited 2 weeks for the Gamebit screws to arrive in the mail before I attempted to repair my GG
The unscrewer
Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:26 pm
Well, I am interested in opening my Game Gear console, that's it...

I managed to melt the plastic around the security screw, cleaned it up, then tried to apply the biro again, this time I waited only a few seconds: alas, there was melt again on the GG.

I removed it again, and I think I found why: NEVER USE BIC CLONES FOR THIS (the shape was slightly different and weaker).

I will try again with a Bic tomorrow and let you guys know. I don't think that will fail ^^

viletim!
Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:59 pm
The unscrewer wrote
Well, I am interested in opening my Game Gear console, that's it...

I managed to melt the plastic around the security screw, cleaned it up, then tried to apply the biro again, this time I waited only a few seconds: alas, there was melt again on the GG.

I removed it again, and I think I found why: NEVER USE BIC CLONES FOR THIS (the shape was slightly different and weaker).

I will try again with a Bic tomorrow and let you guys know. I don't think that will fail ^^

Use some long nose pliars. That's what I do even though I own the appropriate driver bit.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:02 am
I've used both long nose pliers & the BIC method before.

Long nose work alright, but I find they can also slip off too easy and scratch the case.

The BIC method works very well so long as you use the right kind of pen. Not all plastic is created equal and as mentioned some are lesser quality than others (or are a type of plastic that doesn't respond to heat well).
Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:40 am
I tried earlier to open MD carts with BIC pens, broke 3 pens to open a cart... in the end, i've got a very strong plastic, then made a small adaptor, so i can poke it on the hole where the screw is, then with another screwdriver, remove both the "adaptor" and the screw with it...
Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:49 pm
It WORKED! Flawlessly!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!