Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Unique SMS controll pad?

Reply to topic
Unique SMS controll pad?
Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:57 am

I got a pair of these with a SMS unit I won on eBay some months back, never seen a controll pad where the wire comes out the side before. Anyone else have controll pads like this?
Re: Unique SMS control pad?
Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:48 pm
Do they have little holes in the center of the D-pad? If so, then they're an older style. My Master System, purchased way back in 1987, had this kind. They died within a couple of years of intense use, and Sega was nice enough to replace them with the new version.

> I got a pair of these with a SMS unit I won on eBay some months back, never seen a controll pad where the wire comes out the side before. Anyone else have controll pads like this?
Falcon
Re: Unique SMS control pad?
Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:51 am
> Do they have little holes in the center of the D-pad? If so, then they're an older style. My Master System, purchased way back in 1987, had this kind. They died within a couple of years of intense use, and Sega was nice enough to replace them with the new version.

Odd... I got my SMS in 87 as well and mine had the holes (one with a 'pressure' inserted mini-stick, the other with a 'screw-in' mini-stick, both with those glossy black hole covers). However the wires stick came out of the top like the later versions with the holes filled in.

Falcon

• Site Admin
SJ-15 control pad variation
Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:22 pm
Bumping an old topic.
I've got a new Master System prototype with games and 2 control pads, and the control pads happens to match Raccoon Lad description. See attached picture.
On the back they say: MODEL SJ-15

To be honest I haven't dug in all my regular console and box of control to confirm or not if this type of control pad only came in with prototype hardware or also with early Master System packaging. I'll check later.

In the past I got 2 "early" game releases with those gridded manual from Raccoon Land so it might be that he got those control pads along with the gridded games?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:04 pm
In my experience here in Australia, it's much much harder to find SMS I's in the wild, but SMS II's are way easier (seems to have sold many more perhaps due to the lower price) but that's another story. A side effect is old controllers with the screw hole are also hard to find. I was lucky enough to find one with a cord that came out of the side at a second hand game store that was closing down a couple of years ago. But unfortunately it doesn't work at all.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:30 pm
The controllers I mentioned in this thread and the protos I found were completely unrelated.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:44 am
Bock wrote
Bumping an old topic.
I've got a new Master System prototype with games and 2 control pads, and the control pads happens to match Raccoon Lad description. See attached picture.

What's the chance we can convince you to open up the prototype system and take pictures / dump the BIOS? :D
Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:46 am
Charles MacDonald wrote
What's the chance we can convince you to open up the prototype system and take pictures / dump the BIOS? :D

I believe the prototype system mentioned here is the one discussed in this thread.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:58 pm
Paul Baker wrote
Charles MacDonald wrote

I believe the prototype system mentioned here is the one discussed in this thread.

Oops, I thought Bock meant he had a new prototype SMS (as of October). Ah well. :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:56 pm
Yes that's the one discussed in the above linked thread, I got it this month.
I will release the BIOS dump shortly.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:21 pm
Bock wrote
Yes that's the one discussed in the above linked thread, I got it this month.
I will release the BIOS dump shortly.

Ah, I understand now.

The board is interesting, there's a 74LS08 at IC10 and a Fujitsu MB67511 gate array at IC4. Both are absent from the commercial hardware. I wonder what they do?

The gate array seems to be connected to the VDP too. Maybe for special video modes or something. :)
Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:28 am
Charles MacDonald wrote
The board is interesting, there's a 74LS08 at IC10 and a Fujitsu MB67511 gate array at IC4. Both are absent from the commercial hardware. I wonder what they do?

The gate array at IC4 seems to be doing the job of the I/O controller. It's in the location where the 315-5216 would usually be found, and there doesn't seem to be an I/O chip elsewhere on the board.

IC10 is more of a mystery - the early production systems have an empty space at this location.

See also this page and, for comparison, this one.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:51 pm
The gate array at IC4 seems to be doing the job of the I/O controller. It's in the location where the 315-5216 would usually be found, and there doesn't seem to be an I/O chip elsewhere on the board.

Ah, I can't believe I missed that. I wonder if the Sega-branded I/O chip is this same part with different markings.

Thanks for making all those PCB articles on the wiki, it's a great reference and very interesting to see how they changed the layout over time -- I forgot the M404 system had the I/O chip completely implemented in TTL parts. Definitely something to make schematics for eventually. :D
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!